The Prime Minister has rejected a call from Manchester United and England star Marcus Rashford to extend the free school meals scheme into the summer holidays.
On Monday morning the footballer pleaded with MPs to reconsider their decision not to extend the current food voucher scheme in an open letter “written from the heart” in which he spoke about his own experiences of relying on free school meals.
The 22-year-old Manchester United and England striker urged the authorities to make a U-turn and allow vulnerable children who have been getting free meals during the coronavirus lockdown to continue receiving them in the summer holidays.
But today the Prime Minister’s spokesman confirmed that the scheme would be ending with the school term.
He promised to write to the footballer soon after the launch of the maketheuturn campaign urging the government to change their mind.
He said: “ The PM understands the issues facing families across the UK which is why last week the government announced an additional £63m for local authorities to benefit families who are struggling to afford food and other basic essentials.”
Boris Johnson has said he expects schools to make food parcels available for collection or delivery and schools can continue to offer vouchers to eligible pupils.
Source : Mirror.uk