President Nana Akufo-Addo has ordered the closure of all schools and universities in Ghana as his administration moves to stem the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
Earlier on Sunday afternoon health authorities announced that six cases of the disease have been recorded in the country within a space of less than 48 hours.
On Sunday evening, in a televised address the president ordered the closure of all educational institutions with effect from Monday, March 16, 2020. He also ordered the suspension of all public gatherings including conferences, sporting events and funerals.
The president said, however, that private funerals will be permitted if there are no more than 25 people in attendance.
Even though educational institutions are being closed, pre-tertiary students who have already registered for basic and secondary school exams will be allowed to attended revision classes. The president asked school authorities to ensure that these classes are conducted in hygienic conditions with appropriate “social distancing” between attendees.
“These are not ordinary times,” the president said as he urged the citizens to co-operate with health authorities to help with contact tracing and “community spreading.”
“Let us all put our shoulders to the wheel,” the president said “and I am confident that together we shall overcome this challenge.”
The President also announced that in the coming days the Attorney General will place emergency legislation before parliament to help enforce all the measures announced.
Ghana has recorded four more new cases of the Novel Coronavirus bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to six.
Two of the individuals returned to the country from the United States last week, the Director-General the Ghana Health Service (GHS) Dr Badu Sarkodie stated at a press briefing in Accra Sunday.
He also disclosed that among the two other new cases which to light on Saturday is a student of a university who had been in contact with 12 people.
The other is resident in Obuasi in the Ashanti region. Dr. Badu Sakordie noted all the six cases are in stable condition and are being monitored.
The Government has also announced a total travel ban for passengers who have been to countries where over 200 cases of the virus have been confirmed.
Ghana on Thursday, March 12, confirmed two cases of the deadly virus. One of the infected persons is a Norwegian diplomat in Ghana, while the other is a Ghanaian who returned from Turkey.