The Upper East Region will get a domestic airport should the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) emerge victorious in the 2020 general elections.
Flagbearer of the party, John Dramani Mahama made the promise at the party’s manifesto launch at the University of Professional Studies, Accra, on Monday, September 7, 2020.
John Mahama said land had already been secured for construction once he is given the nod on December 7.
“We will construct a domestic airport in the Upper East region. The land was secured when I was President and so we will continue with it”, he said.
The former President also announced that the Kumasi Airport will also be upgraded to receive bigger aircraft.
Other aviation promises
1. To realise Ghana’s vision to become the aviation hub of West Africa, the next NDC government has promised to also do the following:
2. immediately stop all plans by the failed Akufo-Addo Government to sell off the Kotoka International Airport
3. continue our vision to fully operationalise the Kumasi and Tamale International Airports
4. upgrade the Takoradi and Sunyani airports
5. review the institutional and legal framework to ensure airport lands are reserved solely
for aviation purposes
6. partner with the private sector to establish a national airline